What is general dentistry?
The focus of general dentistry is prevention and diagnosis of early stages of dental disease as well as mending oral health with restorative dentistry. General dentists utilize a wide array of dental procedures to ensure your continued oral health, including:
- Preventive services — Your regular dental examination (including diagnostic x-rays) and prophylaxis, or teeth cleanings, are the cornerstone of preventative care. Dr. Rotroff and Dr. Wasselle emphasize the importance of regular dental checkup and cleanings to ensure your oral health. During your visit, your dental hygienist in Fort Lauderdale removes plaque and tartar to combat gum disease and tooth decay. They may offer instructions to improve your at-home oral care routine. Another important preventative service for those involved in sports is a custom-made mouthguard to protect your smile during those activities.
- Restorative Services —A recent study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that over 90% of adults in the United States have had at least one cavity. Furthermore, they report that 1 in 4 adults have cavities that are untreated! Your Fort Lauderdale dentist encourages you to schedule your dental checkups regularly to detect any cavities early while they are still small. When your dentist discovers a cavity early and it is still small, your dentist may restore your tooth with a filling. If decay is left untreated, it will get larger and affect deeper layers of your teeth requiring more invasive dental restorations. If the decay progresses to the pulp, you may require root canal therapy followed by a dental crown to restore your tooth's structure and function. Your general dentist also provides options for the replacement of missing teeth including dental implants, a dental bridge, or fixed dentures. Your family dentist will make every effort to save every tooth but there are times when a patient must have a tooth pulled, such as wisdom teeth extraction.
- If you have been diagnosed with periodontal disease, your dental hygienist will perform periodontal scaling (dental deep cleaning) and subsequently more frequent dental cleanings. Periodontal disease is an inflammatory condition affecting the tissues surrounding the teeth. The early stage, called gingivitis, is marked by red, swollen gums that may bleed. In its more advanced stages, called periodontitis, the gums begin to pull away from the tooth, bone loss occurs, and teeth may become loose or fall out.
- Overall Health Concerns — It is well documented that your oral health is a mirror of your overall general health. Some dental problems may be linked to health problems in other parts of your body. For example, when oral infections are left untreated, bacteria can enter the bloodstream causing inflammation in other parts of the body. Poor oral health can be linked to more difficulty in controlling diabetes, an increase incidence of cardiovascular disease, as well as pregnancy complications.
What is cosmetic dentistry?
The focus of cosmetic dentistry is improving the aesthetics of your mouth and smile. Whether your goal is to change or enhance the color, shape, size, or alignment of your teeth, your cosmetic dentist in Fort Lauderdale can help you achieve your best smile with:
- Teeth whitening. Our in-office treatment whitens your teeth up to eight shades lighter. Stubborn stains are removed leaving your teeth whiter and brighter. Professional whitening lasts much longer than over-the-counter products.
- Dental Veneers. Dental veneers are a thin layer of material, either composite or porcelain, placed on the front of the tooth surface to enhance the aesthetics of your teeth. They are custom made for you, achieve a natural looking smile and are long lasting.
- Dental implant crowns. Implant crowns rest on top of your dental implant which replaces the root of your missing tooth. Replacing missing teeth with dental implants and crowns produces the most natural looking and feeling result and is a long-lasting treatment option.
For comprehensive dental care in Fort Lauderdale, contact Excellence in Dentistry at 954-928-1666. With over 60 years combined experience, Nancy Rotroff, DDS, MAGD, and Gerard Wasselle, DMD, provide their patients with exceptional dental care in a relaxed, welcoming office. If you are new to the area or looking for a new dentist nearby, select the best dentist in Fort Lauderdale!
Excellence in Dentistry
Nancy Rotroff, DDS, MAGD & Gerard Wasselle, DMD
2480 E. Commercial Blvd, Suite 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308