When you think of life-changing experience, visiting your dentist is probably not the first thing that comes to mind. If you are missing teeth, enduring dental pain, have difficulty chewing due to a broken tooth or unstable teeth, or your smile has deteriorated, your oral health can have a negative impact on every part of your life. Fortunately, Dr. Nancy Rotroff or Dr. Gerard Wasselle, your cosmetic dentist in Fort Lauderdale, have treatment options to restore your smile.
Why is replacing missing teeth important?
When you loose a tooth, it can create a cascade of problems if not replaced in a timely manner. Your Fort Lauderdale cosmetic dentist wants you to know that replacing missing teeth is important for several reasons:
- Maintain proper occlusion. The neighboring teeth will begin to drift into the gap left by the missing tooth altering your occlusion, or bite. Your teeth may become crooked, and, therefore, more difficult to keep clean. When your occlusion is off, certain teeth may no longer meet and others may have additional pressure placed on them causing loss of enamel and potential damage to that tooth.
- Prevent super-eruption of opposing tooth. The tooth directly above or below the gap may start to grow out, or super-erupt. Because there is no longer an opposing force in the way to stop it, it grows out into the gap. As the root of the tooth becomes exposed, it is not covered with enamel and more likley to suffer decay. Less of the tooth is anchored in bone, and this can lead to loss of the super-erupted tooth.
- Prevent bone loss. Once tooth is lost, there is no longer the pressure on the jaw bone from chewing and the bone begins to be resorbed. This can lead to changes in your facial profile, causing a sagging or aged appearance.
- Restore function. When you are missing one or more teeth, it alters your ability to chew as well as speak. You may begin to avoid certain foods that are difficult to bite or chew.
- Restore a pleasing smile. Missing teeth, even in the back, can have social, professional and emotional impacts on your life. Missing teeth create not only displeasing gaps in your smile, they can lead to changes in your face's appearance causing you to appear aged.
Dr. Gerard Wasselle and Dr. Nancy Rotroff, of Excellence in Dentistry in Fort Lauderdale, have several options for replacing your missing tooth. Schedule a consultation to discuss your options by calling 954-928-1666. Whether you select a dental bridge, partial or complete dentures, or a dental implant, our dentists have the experience and skill to give you the best in cosmetic dentistry.
How can completing my restorative dentistry treatment be life changing?
- Restore health. Completing your restorative dentistry treatment is important to restore the health of your smile as well as your overall health. Untreated dental concerns can affect your overall health; for instance, gum disease, when left untreated, can lead not only to tooth loss but also inflammation in other parts of the body. Tooth decay, a cavity, is damage to a tooth caused by bacteria in your mouth that make acids that attack the enamel of your teeth. Decay starts as a small hole in a tooth, but, if left untreated, it can increase in size and cause pain, infection, and even tooth loss. Removing decay and treating gum disease changes your life by putting you on the road to a healthy smile as well as improved overall health.
- Resore function. The dentists at Excellence in Dentistry in Fort Lauderdale want to partner with you for restore not only the health but also the function of your teeth. When teeth are decayed, cracked, or broken, you may not be able to bite or chew with them forcing you to place more demand on another area of your mouth which may result in wear or damage there. Repairing decayed or damaged teeth will restore your ability to chew and speak clearly and boost your confidence.
- Restore aesthetics. Selecting the best cosmetic dentist is important for a terrific outcome for your dental restoration. Whether you require a composite fillings, a dental implant, a crown or bridge, or veneers, Dr. Rotroff and Dr. Wasselle use the highest quality materials for your dental restoration to give you a dazzling new smile that will restore your smile and your confidence!
If you are ready for a life changing experience and a new smile, call Excellence in Dentistry at 954-928-1666 to schedule a consultation. Whether you need a filling in a single tooth or need a complete smile make-over or anything in between, select the best Fort Lauderdale cosmetic dentist. Dr. Rotroff or Dr. Wasselle will listen to your goals and discuss your treatment options to work with you to achieve those goals and give you a beautiful new smile.