While your Fort Lauderdale dentist strongly encourages preventative care (dental exam and cleaning) to keep your smile healthy and beautiful, we acknowledge that teeth are susceptible to damage and decay. When a tooth becomes unhealthy whether due to trauma or decay, Dr. Gerard Wasselle and Dr. Nancy Rotroff are here to repair your tooth and restore your oral health. Bear in mind that dental issues can go undetected. For example, if you skip your preventative care appointments for dental exam and cleaning, a cavity can go unnoticed and get larger and affect deeper layers of your teeth until it develops into a problem, and possibly a painful toothache, that requires a more advanced restorative procedure.
What is restorative dentistry versus cosmetic dentistry?
Restorative dentistry refers to dental procedures involved in repairing or replacing a tooth or teeth in order to restore the function of the teeth allowing you to talk and eat normally. Cosmetic dentistry is focused on the aesthetic enhancement of your smile. Restorative and cosmetic dentistry often overlap. For example, when a patient needs a crown to restore a tooth, using a cosmetic dentist for the restoration will result in not only correcting the function of your tooth but also results in a beautiful, natural-looking restoration for your smile. Dr. Nancy Rotroff and Dr. Gerard Wasselle offer both restorative and cosmetic dentistry. Fusing science with art, we use the latest dental technologies to repair damaged teeth while simultaneously providing our patients with fabulous cosmetic results.
What are restorative dentistry procedures?
There is a large range of procedures that are considered restorative. The most common restorative dental treatments include:
- Fillings — Because most people will develop a cavity in their lifetime, dental filling is the most common restorative dental procedure. Your dentist in Fort Lauderdale removes the decay portion of your tooth and replaces it with composite material that matches your tooth perfectly. Composite fillings restore both the function and the aesthetics of your tooth.
- Crowns — When a tooth is damaged whether due to large decay, a crack, or break or has had root canal therapy, a crown is placed to reinforce the remaining tooth structure and restore the function of the tooth. Crowns can be porcelain, zirconia, or metal depending on the needs of the patient.
- Bridges — Bridges are a great treatment option to replace one or more missing teeth using a pontic crown held in place by two or more crowns on either side of the missing tooth/ teeth.
- Implants —Implants are an excellent treatment choice to replace a missing tooth. An implant is a complete replacement of your tooth using a titanium screw to replace the root and a dental crown. Your dental implant functions and looks just like your natural tooth. Dental implants can also function as anchors for bridges and dentures.
- Full and partial dentures — Dentures are used to replace many or all teeth missing in an arch. Dentures can be held in place using implants.
- Root canals — When a tooth sustains a trauma or decay reaches the root of the tooth, a root canal may be necessary. During a root canal procedure, your Fort Lauderdale dentist will clean out all of the soft pulp from inside the tooth and fill the inside of the tooth rubber compound called gutta percha. Following a root canal, a crown may be necessary to restore the strength and structure your tooth.
When you are in need of dental treatment, select the best dentist in Fort Lauderdale. At Excellence in Dentistry in Fort Lauderdale, Dr. Gerard Wasselle and Dr. Nancy Rotroff provide restorative dentistry as well as cosmetic dentistry. While our goal is maintaining your oral health with preventative care visits for dental exam and cleaning, Dr. Wasselle and Dr. Rotroff also provide the restorative dentistry services that restore the function and the aesethetics of your smile. Call us at 954-928-1666 to schedule an appointment to discuss your dental needs. We look forward to working with you to determine the best, most cost-effective treatment for your goals.