Maybe you are munching on popcorn, bite into a hard kernel and feel a piece of your molar break away. Maybe you are playing ball with friends (without your mouthguard) and "catch" one in the mouth and now part of a front tooth is missing. Maybe you are enjoying a piece of hard candy when you notice something hard in your mouth that doesn't melt or dissolve. You get a momentary fright when you you realize it's a piece of broken tooth. A quick search for "dentist near me" gives you a list of innumerable dental practices in Fort Lauderdale and Lauderdale by the Sea. Selecting the best dentist in South Florida will ensure your tooth is restored using quality materials that will produce a natural-looking, long-lasting restoration. Call Excellence in Dentistry at 954-928-1666 to be seen right away.
I am in pain! Can I be seen today?
Yes. At Excellence in Dentistry in Fort Lauderdale, we will make every effort to see you same day for your dental emergency at our dental office on Commercial Boulevard.
I have no pain. Do I need to see my dentist?
Yes. While you may not be experiencing any pain, your should see your family dentist in Fort Lauderdale as soon as possible to prevent further damage or infection. If you break a tooth, try to save the piece of broken tooth, bring it with you in a baggie so your dentist on Commercial Boulevard can determine if it is tooth enamel or filling material. Your family dentist will likely take an x-ray of your tooth and advise how best to restore your tooth.
How will my dentist repair my chipped or broken tooth?
Treatment of your broken or chipped tooth will depend on the extent to which it is damaged. If you experience only a very small chip, your dentist may be able to simply smooth off the rough edge. For a larger chip or break, your dentist may recommend one of the following:
- Dental bonding/ composite filling. Dental bonding is used for small chips and areas that do not experience a great deal of bite pressure. Your dentist will use tooth-colored filling material to fill the gap left by the chip. Once the gap is filled, your dentist will shape and trim the material to match your natural teeth perfectly.
- Dental Veneer. Your cosmetic dentist may recommend dental veneers because they are a fantastic treatment for chips or small breaks on front teeth. A dental veneer is a wafer-thin shell made of tooth-colored porcelain material placed on the front of your tooth. Dental veneers are very strong and durable as well as resist staining.
- Dental Crown. If a large portion of your tooth breaks away and if there is dental decay present but your tooth root is not exposed, your dentist may choose to restore your tooth using a crown, sometimes called a "cap." A dental crown may also be placed following root canal therapy to protect the remaining tooth from fracture.
- Root Canal Therapy. If the pulp, the blood vessels and nerves in your tooth root, are exposed, they are at risk for infection. Trauma to a tooth can cause the pulp tissue to die, and it can become infected. Your Fort Lauderdale dentist may recommend root canal therapy followed by a crown. During your root canal procedure your dentist removes the pulp tissue, cleans the root canal and seals it. A crown is placed to protect the remaining tooth structure.
- Extraction. In rare cases, the trauma to the tooth may be so severe or so little of the tooth may be remaining that extraction is the only option. Your dentists at Excellence in Dentistry will always make every effort to save your tooth and extraction is always the last option.
- Reimplant knocked out tooth. If a permanent tooth is knocked out and remains intact, your dentist may be able to reimplant your tooth.
Don't ignore your chipped or broken tooth ~ it can lead to an infection, a painful toothache, and possibly even loss of your tooth! Dr. Nancy Rotroff and Dr. Gerard Wasselle at Excellence in Dentistry are committed to partnering with you for your best oral health. While we emphasize preventative care (dental checkups and cleanings), our dentists provide the highest quality in restorative and cosmetic dentistry. For dental excellence and compassionate care in a friendly office where you can relax and know your are cared for like family, call Excellence in Dentistry at 954-928-1666.
Excellence in Dentistry
2480 E. Commercial Boulevard, Suite 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308